All-Natural Disinfecting Cleaner |

All-Natural Disinfecting Cleaner

April 18, 2013

Making your own cleaners is fun and it can also be cost-effective. Last month I shared a great Wood Cleaner + Polish recipe. While I don’t make all my own cleaners, I like to have a couple go-to recipes in my cleaning arsenal. I don’t use a disinfectant on every surface, but it’s great in bathrooms and when sickness is running its course through the house. Today I have a easy disinfecting cleaner recipe to share with you. Make it in a pinch, it’s all-natural and better yet, it’s safe to use around your family and pets.

All-Natural Disinfectant Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup of white vinegar (vinegar alone has natural germ-killing properties)
  • 2 cups of hot water (hot water to dissolve the ingredients properly)
  • 1 teaspoon Arm + Hammer Washing soda (not necessary, but I like the extra cleaning kick that it provides to the solution)
  • 10-20 drops Melaleuca essential oil (also known as tea tree oil) – this is a natural oil that is notorious for killing germs.

Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle, spray surfaces, let sit for 10 minutes and wipe clean with a cleaning cloth or paper towel.

If you love making your own cleaning products or are looking for some ideas, you’ll love the current series on my blog (it just started this week) – DIY Homemade Cleaners. I’m sharing a free printable recipe page and 9 of my favorite recipes – come check it out!

cleanmamacontributorbutton

Visit Becky’s blog at www.cleanmama.net

Becky (Clean Mama) writes a cleaning and organizing lifestyle blog all about simplifying everyday life and making daily cleaning tasks more fun. You'll find her with a printable checklist and a cup of coffee while running around with her three little ones. Clean Mama is also the housekeeping expert on Answers.com, and has been featured in HGTV magazine, BHG.com, Oprah.com, iVillage and has written cleaning and organizing content for companies like 3M, Peapod, and Reckitt. Look for Becky's first book to be published in the Spring of 2014! Learn more about Becky at www.cleanmama.net.

20 comments on “All-Natural Disinfecting Cleaner

1. Shirls says:

But doesn’t it smell awful? Could I put some lavender in it as well?

2. Stacye Hixson says:

I already use this recipe as a disenfectant cleaner. All I can say is “AWESOME”. It cleans everything and the Tea Tree oil leaves the house smelling cleaning. My laminate floors have never looked better. Everyone needs to make and use this cleaner.

3. Tami says:

Is there another essential oil that could be used in lieu of the tea tree oil? And I mean for the germ fighting properties rather than any scent. I am allergic to the stuff; if I get it on my skin it makes me itch til I start tearing my skin.

• Hi Tami!
      My favorite antibacterial oil is from doTERRA – it’s called OnGuard (you can ask Toni about it if you are interested). Tea Tree/Melaleuca has the best ‘antibacterial/antiseptic’ properties, but these essential oils also have some antiseptic properties: basil, bergamot, clary sage, clove, lavender, lemon, rosemary, thyme.
      xo, Becky

4. Kaitlyn says:

Hi, love this post. I am been looking for plain clear spray bottles with measurements on side like yours….can you tell me who makes it or where it was purchased? Thanks!

5. So excited about this! I’ve been using Basic H2 for a couple years now but on occasion have to use bleach. I’ve been trying to figure out how not too to disinfect. Would love your advise.

I have a question what is the difference of using this natural solution vs using doTerra On Guard Cleaner Concentrate vs. Basic G2?

You showed both in the post about your kitchen sink. http://www.abowlfulloflemons.net/2013/03/green-makeover-under-the-kitchen-sink.html

6. E says:

Just to let you know, this blog entry has been swiped from your site and reposted at http://yotrendz.com/diy-homemade-cleaners-all-natural-disinfecting-cleaner/

7. Lee says:

This is a great cleaner, I made some today and used it to clean and it worked wonderfully! Thanks for sharing!

8. Anonymous says:

can I use fragrance oil?

9. I’m not sure why but this web site is loading extremely slow for me.
    Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my
    end? I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

• Rachel says:

make sure you’re not using explorer. you may want to try and refresh your page or try again later.

10. Yael says:

I am trying this cleaner out for first time. Is it safe to use on kitchen counters? Should I wipe down counter with wet sponge,then spray and let sit and then wipe down again with wet sponge?

Get the latest downloads from A Bowl Full of Lemons printables shop.
Hello. Add your message here.