Its that time again! SPRING CLEANING. I shared these tips last year with my readers. So I just updated it a little to share with those who have not yet seen it. When do you start your spring cleaning? Are you a “get it all done in a day” type of girl or do you take your time? I like to spread it over a week. See my spring cleaning routine below.
How I prepare for my “spring cleaning”…
1. I make sure I am all stocked up on my cleaners. For my spring cleaning, I typically use Basic H which is an all purpose cleaner, window cleaner, and degreaser in one, Scour off, Nature Bright & Basic G. I only use non-toxic cleaners in my home. (Cleaning with toxic cleaners does more harm than good). I place everything in my caddy (shown below), along with the trash bags & rags.
2. Stock up on trash bags, paper towels or rags, and candles (I have to have a candle burning while I clean).
3. Make the week of dinners ahead of time (5 dinners, 1 hour is a great place to find weekly menus), because you will not have the time or the energy to cook when you are spring cleaning.
4. Make a cleaning schedule (type or write and put on a clipboard), matching days to tasks. I try to have my spring cleaning complete in one week. It takes an additional week to clean the outside of my home (power-washing, wash window screens, weeding, preparing the garden, cleaning out the garage, cleaning out the car, etc.)
My spring cleaning checklist
- Clean all baseboards, banisters, walls, windows & mirrors (spraying everything with Basic H eliminates the need for a bucket of water & cleaner)
- Clean all glass surfaces
- Wipe down electronics
- Wash all curtains (including shower curtains)
- Wash all bedding (including quilts & pillows)
- Flip mattresses
- Empty all trash cans, clean and sanitize them.
- Clean the kitchen:
- Clear the entire counter top and sanitize
- Wipe out & organize all cabinets. Throw out old food and dishes you no longer use.
- Wipe off the top of fridge
- Dust fridge coils
- Clean out fridge and freezer
- Clean out oven (including vents)
- Clean microwave
- Sanitize the sink and garbage disposer
- Wipe down all appliances.
- Change all filters (furnace, water filtration)
- Add salt to water softener
- Polish all furniture in house (and wax if needed)
- Clean toilets, sinks, medicine cabinets and showers
- Vacuum out couches & chairs
- Wash couch cushions
- Vacuum and mop all floors
- Wash rugs
- Shampoo all carpets
- Replace all smoke detector batteries
- Replace burnt out lightbulbs
- Rest because tomorrow its time to head outside!!
*Some extra things that may need done this week are: switching winter wardrobe to spring, oil change in car (fill fluids)& clean out car, clean out vacuum cleaner, clean out dog kennel, reseal grout lines, clean out email box.
If you have any spring cleaning tips, please share them with us!!