If you would like to join our organizing challenge, sign up (here) on the event page. Once you are signed up, join the Home Organization 101 group page on Facebook (HERE). On this page, you can ask questions, post pictures, and support each other during this 14 week process.
Week #11 – THE LIVING ROOM
I cannot believe its already week 11. The time is going by so fast. I hope you ‘re all starting to feel the rewards of having an organized home. Today we are organizing the living room. This room is pretty simple to organize and the #1 tip I will give you is LESS IS MORE! I have simplified my living room. There is no clutter. Its our “home sanctuary”. We come in here to relax, not to stress over clutter & a mess. This is not a storage room or a “collect all” space. It’s the “living room”. I challenge you to get rid of as much “stuff” as you can this week. Donate it, give it away, or sell it… but get rid of it. You really don’t need that much stuff.
1. Take a picture of your space “before” you start & share it with the facebook group here. One of the best rewards of organizing a space is seeing the before and after pictures side by side.
2. Gather up 4 baskets: Keep, Donate, Trash, Other Room.
3. Start sorting & purging! At this point go through everything on all shelves, floor, drawers, etc. Divide it all into the 4 baskets (or more if needed).
4. Once you have sorted through everything, you are ready to clean your living room. Dust, wipe down, vacuum, windex, etc. Make it shine and smell good.
5. Now its time to organize. Get baskets, bins, use drawers, etc… The point is to containerize so the room doesnt look “messy”.
6. Now take an “after” picture. You’re done! Come back here to share your hard work.
MY LIVING ROOM
I designed my living room in a “nantucket” theme. Its only partially finished… and I still have a lot of work to do, but its getting there! I have pictures that need hung. I need to purchase a sofa table to place behind the sofa, and I need to find some more things to hang on the bare walls.
Organizing tip #1: Containerize the remote controls.
Organizing tip #2: Increase storage space by using an ottoman or a trunk.
Organizing tip #3: Control clutter by storing magazines in a vintage (or new) magazine rack.
Organizing tip #4: Use baskets to store blankets & other commonly used items.
Organizing tip #5: Store candles & scentsy bars together in a drawer or basket, close to the warmer.
My name is Toni and I am a Scentsy addict. I said it! That feels better.
Where did I find my things?
1. Furniture – Ikea
2. Basket – Target
3. Pillows – Home Goods (Ralph Lauren) or here
4. Cloche jar – Pottery Barn or here
5. Beach sign – Home Goods
6. Rug – Ikea
7. Drapery – Ikea
Please welcome our sponsor this week… Elena, an independent designer for Origami Owl. They have the cutest lockets & charms that would be the perfect Christmas present. Visit Origami Owl (here).
LINK UP YOUR LIVING ROOMS BELOW…