We are over halfway finished with the challenge and it’s downhill from here. This week, we’re entering our kids rooms and organizing their closets. We will purge clothing they’ve outgrown and implement a system of organization for them to follow. Welcome to week 8!
If you’re new to the challenge, print out the schedule and checklists below and begin on the current week. For encouragement, join our Home Organization Facebook community to share your progress, or struggles, or questions. Or simply look through the photos and read how others are doing.
For the perfect companion guide to our challenge, purchase The Complete Book to Home Organization. It includes all 14 weekly challenges as well as a ton of inspiration and tips about the spaces we will be organizing. No need to log onto the computer for ideas, this manual has it all!
If you need more guidance on cleaning your house, be sure to pre-order my brand new book The Complete Book of Clean. It has tons of tips and checklists that will teach you how to get your homes sparkling clean.
WEEK : KIDS CLOSETS (Or an extra closet)
This week, we’re clearing out our kids closets. If you don’t have any kids, you can clean out an unorganized closet in your home. Make sure you empty the closet completely, when you begin the challenge. It makes all the difference in the world.
THE ORGANIZING PROCESS
- Other Room
- Garage Sale
- Too Big
- Empty all of the shelves, baskets and drawers, dividing everything into the 6 piles listed above (or more if needed). Sort through everything, only keeping what your child wears now or will wear soon. Place clothes that do not fit yet into a plastic tote and place up high in the closet so your child will not sort through it.
- Once the closet is completely empty, wipe down the shelves, door, molding, etc.
- Sweep & Mop the Floor
- Use shoe organizers to keep shoes looking neat and in good shape.
- Color coordinate hanging clothes, for a clean & organized look.
- Separate by type of clothing (Short sleeve, long sleeve, sweaters, jackets, etc.)
- Summer – Short Sleeve, Shorts, Swim wear, Dresses/Skirts
- Winter – Long Sleeve, Sweaters, Pants, Dresses, Coats
- Too Big
Here’s a look into my sons organized closet.
Here are few blog posts that will inspire you to get your Kids Closets organized.
- Kids Closet Organization
- Teen Closet Organization
- Boys Closet Organization (My guest post to Home Depot Blogfollow)
- Seasonal Clothing Swap (Free printable)
This week, clear the clutter from your kids closets. Purge what you can and bring it back to order. Share your progress on Instagram using the hash tag #abfolchallenge, blog about the weekly challenges, and share your before and after pictures over at my Home Organization group here. Hold yourself accountable and finish all 14 challenges! I can’t wait to see what you accomplish. Good luck. I’ll see you back next week for the week 9 challenge. Happy Organizing!