Welcome back to the Home Organization challenge. We are almost finished! This week, we’re cleaning out the home office (or space where you pay your bills, etc). If you are new to the challenge, join us this week and complete the first 10 challenges when you have the time. Let’s get started.
If you’re just joining us, print out the schedule and checklists below and begin on the current week. For encouragement, join our Home Organization Facebook community to share your progress, or struggles, or questions. Or simply look through the photos and read how others are doing.
For the perfect companion guide to our challenge, purchase The Complete Book to Home Organization. It includes all 14 weekly challenges as well as a ton of inspiration and tips about the spaces we will be organizing. No need to log onto the computer for ideas, this manual has it all!
If you need more guidance on cleaning your house, be sure to pre-order my brand new book The Complete Book of Clean. It has tons of tips and checklists that will teach you how to get your homes sparkling clean. It comes out on April 11th!
THE ORGANIZING PROCESS
- Return (to other rooms)
- Keep (Everything that stays in the office)
- Paperwork – Give yourself at least 2 hours to go through ALL of your paperwork. Each piece of paper will be placed in one of the following bins (shred, file, trash). You are not organizing at this time – Just sorting.
- Everything Else – Go through the remaining items in your office. Place everything into one of the 6 bins (listed above).
- Clean the windows, blinds, frames & mirrors
- Wipe down doors, baseboards, doorknobs and switch plates
- Wipe down desk & shelves
- Clean out trash can
- Wipe down office chair
- Clean ceiling fan & lighting
- Clean the keyboard, mousepad & computer screen (according to instructions)
- Filing System – Now it’s time to organize all of your paperwork into a filing system. The categories I use are listed here. At least 50% of the paper you have now should be tossed. You can also go paperless at this time. (Log into your accounts and chose this option).
- Mail Station – Create a designated mail station. You will need one to get control of the incoming paper clutter.
- Books & Magazines – Organize your books & magazines in an orderly fashion.
- Everything Else – Create categories for everything else in your office, then label & organize into containers, drawers & baskets.
WHEN GOING THROUGH YOUR PILES OF PAPER, ASK YOURSELF…
- Is this paper necessary to keep? (Taxes, etc)
- Will I use it in the future?
- Do I have a place for it?
Here are few blog posts that will inspire you to get your office organized.
- Office Organization
- My Summer Office
- My LuLaRoe Office
- My Office (& Project Life Organization)
- Purging Your Desk
- How to Organize your Taxes
- Tax Preparation Checklist
- Purging Email Subscriptions
- Paper Organization
- Purging the Bills
- 5 Tips for a clutter Free Workspace
- Household Bill Payment Center
- My Office Organization
- Filing System Organization
- Budget & Mail Drawer
- Budget Binder
Clean out your office this week. Purge your paper piles and filing system. It will take a while, but you’ll be so glad you spent the time to do this. Share your progress on Instagram using the hash tag #abfolchallenge, blog about the weekly challenges, and share your before and after pictures over at my Home Organization group here. Hold yourself accountable and finish all 14 challenges! I can’t wait to see what you accomplish. Good luck. I’ll see you back next week for the week 12 challenge. Happy Organizing!