Welcome to week 12 of the Home Organization Challenge. This week, we are cleaning and organizing the laundry room. To me, this is one of the most rewarding weeks of the challenge. I love a clean laundry room. Purge as much as you can this week and enjoy your laundry room once again.
I love my laundry room, but that hasn’t always been the case. It’s taken me some time to get it just the way I like it. Complete the challenge this week & you can create a space that’s functional & visually appealing to you. For some of you this may be an easy task, but for others it will be difficult to complete, with the mountains of laundry that are in your way. This week, I challenge you to clean your laundry room from top to bottom, finish all of the laundry, and organize the space for functionality. If you don’t have a laundry room, clean out the area where you keep your laundry supplies. To begin the process and in order to be fully organized, everything should be emptied out of the space, so you can see it clearly and start fresh. Its time to clear the clutter.
If you’re just joining us, print out the schedule and checklists below and begin on the current week. For encouragement, join our Home Organization Facebook community to share your progress, or struggles, or questions. Or simply look through the photos and read how others are doing.
For the perfect companion guide to our challenge, purchase The Complete Book to Home Organization. It includes all 14 weekly challenges as well as a ton of inspiration and tips about the spaces we will be organizing. No need to log onto the computer for ideas, this manual has it all!
If you need more guidance on cleaning your house, be sure to pre-order my brand new book The Complete Book of Clean. It has tons of tips and checklists that will teach you how to get your homes sparkling clean. Available April 11th.
WEEK #12 CHECKLIST:
1. EMPTY – Empty out the ENTIRE laundry room. Everything but the washer & dryer must go.
2. PURGE – Purge anything that doesn’t belong. Toss empty detergent bottles, trash, donate unwanted or un-needed items and put things away.
3. CLEAN – Pull out the washer/dryer and vacuum behind it. Clean out the dryer vent. Wipe down the outside of the washer and dryer. Clean out the washer. Pour 1 cup of bleach into the drum, then run a full wash cycle on the hottest setting (empty). Wipe down all shelving, walls, baseboards, doors, switch plates & dust the light.
4. ORGANIZE – After the laundry room is clean, it’s time to put everything away. Organize your laundry supplies, using bins, baskets, etc. Keep in mind, if you haven’t used something in the last 12 months, purge it. Don’t put it back in the laundry room. Label each container. (Examples below)
- Laundry soap
- Stain remover tools
- Cleaning cloths
- Pet items
- Trash Bags
- Mopping Pads
- Cleaning Tools
- Dryer Sheets
- Paper Towels
- Vacuum Bags
- Sewing Misc.
5. LAUNDRY – Wash, dry, fold & put away all laundry. Finish every load!
6. CLEANING CADDY – Put together a cleaning caddy. Place all necessary household cleaners in it.
7. DECORATE – Finally, you can decorate your laundry room to make it more inviting.
Here are several blog posts that will inspire you to get your laundry room organized.
- Laundry Room Organization – 2014
- How to put together a cleaning caddy
- Laundry Room Organization – 2012
- Laundry Closet
- How to clean your washing machine
- Daily Cleaning: The Laundry
Clear the clutter from your laundry room this week. Show us your hard work and share your progress on Instagram using the hash tag #abfolchallenge, blog about the weekly challenges, and share your before and after pictures over at my Home Organization group here. Hold yourself accountable and finish all 14 challenges! I can’t wait to see what you accomplish. Good luck. I’ll see you back next week to finish off the 2017 challenge. Happy Organizing!